Monday, February 22, 2010

Windows 7 Write Protection

I was Having problems with Windows 7 telling me that my Multi Media Card was write protected, and only on My Windows 7 machine, I tested it on other PC with Windows XP and Windows Vista and it worked fine. I could not change ANYTHING on the drive, not security attributes not even the owner anything i did to interact with the drive ( write) would give me the " This drive is write protected, Remove write protection or try another device.

I tried some of the registry fixes on the Internet while i was scouring for and answer to fix this problem but none of these worked, I was ready to just call it a day and give the drive to my brother, then I remembered something from a couple years ago doing IT work, DiskPart. So I tried it out and MIRACLE IT WORKED.

Go to Start > and Type "cmd" (without quotes) in the run box at the bottom

When the Prompt Comes up type "diskpart"

This will open a new command window after a few seconds with the Diskpart program running.

From there you need to find out which drive volume your write protected drive is. Type "list volume"

This will list all the drives on your computer and give them all volume numbers.

Next you want dispart to set focus on the write protected drive mine was volume 5 so i type in "select volume 5"

Now diskpart is focused on the drive you can check the attributes no by typing " attributes disk" and "attributes volume"

Disk is for the actual physical disk volume would be for partitions.

My particular situation was the actual DISK was Write protected so look at both Volume and Disk attributes to find out where your write protection is set. By looking at the "Read-only" setting .

To remove the write-protection you then type in "attributes disk clear rea donly" or if it is the volume that the attribute is set on then you can type "attributes volume clear read only"

Recap

Start > Run "cmd"
type< diskpart
type< list volume
type< select volume #
type< attributes disk clear read only

OR

type
There are other things you can do in Diskpart, just type HELP to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment